We’re definitely not getting enough sleep, but our friends in the animal kingdom sure are.
- Koala bears can sleep for up to 18-20 hours each day.
- Giraffes only need 1.9 hour of sleep each day, but they can get by on as little as 30 minutes each night.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, snails can sleep up to 3 years. It’s tiring being slow.
- Not to be outdone, brown bats need 19.9 hours a day.
- If there’s a cat in your house, this will come as no surprise…cats sleep for nearly 70% of their lives.
- Even today, scientists don’t know if animals dream during REM sleep like humans.
It’s not just how long animals sleep, but how they sleep too. Some animals have very unique ways of catching some zzz’s.
- Rabbits can sleep with their eyes open. Don’t even think of touching that carrot.
- Horses can sleep standing up.
- Think sea otters can’t get any cuter? Did you know that when they sleep, they joins “hands” with one another, so they don’t drift apart.
- Have you ever heard yourself saying, “My dog (or cat) sleeps all day”? Well, you’re not too far off. On average, dogs sleep 44.3% of the day. That’s 10.1 hours. And apparently cats need even more beauty sleep clocking in at 12.1 hours per days (50.6%). Click here to learn even more about how much shuteye our animal friends are getting.